brainCloud 5 is live!
brainCloud 5 is finally here – and it will boost your team’s productivity to new heights!
brainCloud 5 features:
- Design Portal (Portal-X) – our completely re-designed and re-engineered web environment
- Integrated Forums to build community
- brainCloud BootCamp tutorial videos to get developing in brainCloud quickly
- Documentation system – to allow you to find what you need faster (even from within our script editor!) (coming soon!)
But don’t take my word for it – check out our trailer!
We will be adding tons of new features to the brainCloud 5 platform in the coming months.
Stay tuned – and thanks for choosing brainCloud!
Our next-generation portal, Portal-X, is now the default for all users!
For those who don’t know, Portal-X features:
- Completely new navigation model – quicker and easier to find things, plus mobile-friendlier!
- All screens are designed to be more scalable – for the largest apps with the largest communities!
- New multi-pane Cloud Code Editor with syntax highlighting!
- Dark and light mode support!
- RTT-enabled API Explorer!
- New Dashboards and analytics screen for more information on your apps!
For more information on some of the basics of Portal-X – check out the brainCloud 4.15 release notes. Or go to https://portalx.braincloudservers.com now and give it a try!
Note – our legacy portal will continue to be available for the next few releases. You can access it by selecting “Switch to Legacy View” from the right-hand Personal Panel menu in Portal-X.
We realize that our existing Forums don’t get used much. We aim to change that!
Not only does our new Team Dashboard prominently feature the latest forum posts – but starting in 5.0 users will now be automatically signed into the forums if you launch them from Portal-X!
So please – take a moment – explore the forums – and give us some feedback on brainCloud 5!
We are very pleased to announce the general availability of brainCloud BootCamp – our new online training site!
We have been working on these lessons for over a year – and are super-happy to be able to finally be able to share them with you!
There are over 75+ video lessons available – organized into two “Bootcamp” courses to start:
- Unity Bootcamp – Everything you need to know to get brainCloud up and running in Unity!
- Unreal Bootcamp – Everything you need to know to get brainCloud up and running in Unreal!
And the best part – Bootcamp is completely free!
Check them out at https://bootcamp.braincloudservers.com
In addition to the new brainCloud 5 features – there are some important functionality-level additions in this release.
These features include:
- Updated Google purchase integration – Google has made a bunch of changes in the past few months and we’re just catching up! brainCloud 5.0 adds support for Google Play Billing Library version 5.
- Improved iOS Appstore purchases – a new parameter allows apps to exclude returning old purchases in receipt data. Especially helpful when dealing with recurring subscriptions.
- Email “cc” and “bcc” field support – has been added to the
- Send events to multiple profiles – in a single call (see API section).
- Improved Long-lived lobby support – servers can send
SYS_ROOM_KEEP_ALIVEcalls to lobbies to ensure stay around as long as the room/relay servers themselves.
- Server support for System RTT Connections ← we will be building on this
- Better RTT Manager & Event Server connection management – improves RTT scalability
- Better detection of duplicate packet ids (server-side)
Client Libraries and Examples
- updated Authentication Example – includes Google, GoogleOpenID, Apple and Facebook authentication.
- added TCP Support for Relay Comms
- Improvements to JsonResponseBundleV2 deserialization
- Produced updated K6 example package
- Objective-C/ Swift
- Updated to JSonCpp 1.1.4
- Updated Swift examples for XCode 14.3
- Cocoapods updated
Of course – all of Portal-X is new!
But you’ve had access to it in the 4.15 preview – so we will focus on the new features this release.
Note that these new features only refer to Portal-X. We will no longer be making feature enhancements to the legacy portal (though we may deprecate features for safety reasons in the coming months).
We have made the following portal changes:
- The Helpful Links section has been updated to provide more helpful links!
- The Recent Forum Posts section now integrates more tightly with the Forums – and will automatically log the user (creating an account if necessary) if a forum link is clicked.
- Dashboard graphs now work properly in Safari!
- Design > Admin Tools > Deployment
- A new option, “Do not migrate Global Entities”, has been added to the deployment screen – but it is not editable in 5.0. This option is related to new Global Entity enhancements coming in a future release.
- Design > Cloud Code > Scripts
- The editor now stays in Edit mode after the script is saved.
- The script editor now automatically senses the tab settings for a script. Those settings can not be overridden by the developer as well.
- Improved handling of editor sessions and script versions.
- Reports > Usage > Profile
- The Profile screen provides a useful summary of the feature and resource usage of the app.
- Reports > Usage > Script Usage
- The new Script Usage screen can be used to get a better understanding of the performance profile of an app’s cloud code scripts.
- It is especially helpful when optimizing an app to improve performance / API count usage.
Miscellaneous Changes / Fixes
- Documentation updates
- Our legacy documentation site has been updated with the latest 5.0 APIs
- We also have a brand new documentation site that we will be rolling out very soon!
- Important Fixes
- Plus miscellaneous fixes and performance enhancements…